
So... we looked into the military, and Michael was able to secure a slot in the Army Reserve. He swore in on Friday, August 15th and will ship out to Basic Training January 13th. His MOS (or job) is a 68WN3, which means a Health Specialist in Occupational Therapy. When he finishes training with the Army, he will nearly be the equivalent of an Occupational Therapy Assistant. YAY! This is an awesome opportunity that will not only give him a leg up for his Master's program (after we get through undergrad) but will give us the ability to pay for school and start a retirement.
Now-- his schedule is going to be crazy... his basic training is 10 days (for processing) + 9 weeks (basic) at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Then he has medic training for 18 weeks 3 days at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. Then there are 31 weeks of clinicals in occupational therapy at an unassigned location (thus far). We will know more about the location of his clinicals when he arrives at Fort Sam Houston.

I am really impressed and proud of my honey. He is willing to leave his family for such a long period of time (it will be at least 10 weeks) and put himself in such a vulnerable position. I do know that he won't be the guy on the front lines, but he will still be utilized wherever he is needed, and it could be close to a battlefield. He has told me that he feels like this is his opportunity to serve his country, just like his mission was his service to the Lord.

8 comments:
Hooray! I am glad every thing went through! Wow...are you letting the boys hair grow out? So unlike you.
That is very cool! Congratulations!
Wow! The Army Reserve!! Loved the picture of him swearing in. Quite an honorable thing...Thanks for the update!
oh wow!! Congrats Michael!!! PS. Will you guys be @ the reunion next Saturday?? If so... i'll see you there!!
Wow! That's pretty cool!
Afton, I happened on to your blog through another blog. Wow and crazy! Its good to see that everything is going good with you guys. I wonder about you guys every now and then. That is amazing that Michael joined the reserve, what an amazing guy. Tell him congrats for me. I really do wish you guys all the best with that, its such a sacrifice for everyone.
Hi, you darling kids. I love your blog. My little sister is trying to bring me into the 21st century, what a task. I love you.
Aunt Carole
Hi Afton - You need to update your blog and let us know how the move went! Hope you and your family are doing great!
Post a Comment