We had a great time bouncing around the country seeing family and friends. Here are some of the highlights!
First off- we all traveled together to Denver, Colorado on April 11th to visit my brother Evan and his family. He and his wife Jamie just had a beautiful baby girl (the first Craghead girl of the next generation) named Tatum. She is an absolute DOLL! Aunt Afton had a fun time snuggling her and playing with this little darling girl. Pacen (2) and Jarom (3 1/2) --their two boys-- loved having the boy cousins come and play. We were able to visit and help out with some projects while Evan and Jamie finalized their moving preparations. They have set out and moved all the way to Nashville, Tennessee. We are so excited for them as they live somewhere out of the western states!
Michael and Colton left Evan's April 14th to drive Evan's pickup to Nashville, making some stops along the way. Michael had never been to any of the church history sites in the Midwest, so he planned a route that would take him to the majority of them. He and Colton had a blast!
After taking the first day to travel from Denver to Kansas City, the boys' first stop was the Independence Visitor's Center. This is a recreation of W.W. Phelps printing press that was used to print the Book of Mormon and the modern day Doctrine & Covenants.
Here is a copy from the first printed edition of the Book of Mormon. The first edition consisted of only 500 copies!
Colton playing at the Visitor's Center in a miniature wood cabin.
After the Visitor's Center, they visited the Community of Christ's (formerly the RLDS Church) temple just across the street. Michael was amazed at some of the artifacts from church history that they had, but unfortunately, they did not allow photography.
At Liberty Jail, Michael and Colton got to see the jail, along with a recreated scene to demonstrate just how miserable a long stay would have been. The walls of the jail were so thick that it was later used as an icehouse because of it's insulation and the naturally cold temperature of the basement.
Next stop was Far West Temple Site. Michael would have liked to visit Hahn's Mill, but he was told that the roads were too muddy unless he had a rugged 4x4. (Too bad he didn't have that 4Runner
Brandon and Abby used on their off road adventure in Aravaipa Canyon... course the Blazer would have worked just as well...)
They ended their journey that night in Kirksville, Missouri at Kevin and Kristine's house. Here is one of the newest members of the Welker clan, Thomas. Michael raved about how cute and fun
this little guy is! I have to say, I am so jealous these guys got to see Baby Thomas before me--
The next day for the boys started off in Carthage, Illinois. Michael and Colton visited the jail, and were able to take a tour of this hallowed ground. Afterwards, Michael and I both discussed our impressions of the spirit and the profound testimony that building and experience yield (I visited Carthage 10 years ago).
Colton still says that this was his favorite stop of the trip.

4 comments:
Cool pics, guys! How FUN to get away for a little while! Brandon and I have said many times over that EVERY member of the church needs to make that trip at some point to see all of those church history sites. What a great experience for you and your family! Hopefully they'll remember it forever! (especially Blake - I mean he's not THAT little.)
What a fun trip! So glad you got to experience it. Holy cow is Colton so big or what!! I guess we haven't seen him in a couple years and he has done some serious growing:)
oh incredible! I am so jealous that they got to stop at all those great historical sites. Those are my favorite trips. I am also so Jealous that you got to go up and see Evan and Jamie's family. I want to see Tatum (in real life) so badly.
I'm glad you and Mike had a good time! I'm sure it was fun for Mike to see Kevin, Kristine and the little Thomas! We need to have you guys over for dinner again!
Post a Comment