
I am like the worst blogger. I honestly only get to blog when all the kids are in bed and I am not working and my eyes will stay open and my brain hasn't shut off....
So.... where did I leave off... oh yeah-- Michael and Colton's fun church history trip. After they went to Kevin and Kristine's (and got to hold cute Thomas), they went to Nauvoo and Carthage, IL for the day. Carthage is an especially poignant experience for anyone who has ever had the privilege of visiting. There is a spirit there unlike any other. It causes personal reflection on the true calling of Joseph Smith and also a reconciliation with those who sought his personal destruction. It gives you an opportunity to put his last moments in front of your eyes, and to have a small moment in a place that he once stood. Colton was not aware of the martyrdom before this trip, and could not understand why anyone would want to kill Joseph Smith. Michael's answer was simple, yet true. He told our son that evil exists in the world, and there are truly evil people that seek the destruction of those who are good. Colton is such a good boy-- his ability to comprehend evil is limited. I hope he recognizes this small truth, yet I also hope he continues to think the best of all people. That is truly one of his best gifts.


Colton had a great time in Nauvoo. He still says that Carthage was his favorite stop, but I know he enjoyed all the shops in Nauvoo and learning about the trades. He made a rope (that he plays with ALL the time-- Riley is jealous and wanted one too). He also learned about gunsmiths, horseshoes, and barrel making. One day these memories will be priceless to him! Michael's favorite site at Nauvoo was the temple (pictured above). He still comments about how beautiful it is and how amazing it was to be on the temple grounds. This trip was so neat for the boys. I am really glad they had this father and son experience.
Well, while Michael and Colton were enjoying church history, I braved another airplane ride outnumbered 2-to-1. Riley, Blake, and I took a plane from Denver to Louisville, KY to visit friends in Floyds Knobs, IN. Our friends were expecting baby #4 and I had promised Denielle I would come and play chef while I was on vacation and she was either expecting or just having that baby. So, we arrived in one piece after a couple hours in the sky. Riley flirted with the flight attendants on the way there. Once we landed, he slipped through the crowd and managed to make it off the aircraft without his mother (typical Riley...), but was stopped by a friendly pilot that seemed to understand anxious, wandering 4 year olds. BUT- we arrived in one piece and I didn't have to connect in Chicago (which I dread for a million reasons, numero uno being that I might have to sleep in the airport with 2 children under the age of 5). When Kyle's sister picked us up at the airport, she informed me that Denielle had indeed been induced and we were awaiting the big news! YAY for Denielle! So, a couple hours later, their second little boy made his debut into the world.Our visit, as always, was not long enough. We didn't do anything exciting, but it was such great fun to visit and be with our wonderful friends. Michael and Colton caught up to us on our second day there, and we just hung out and enjoyed the being somewhere that is green and beautiful. (It is really hard to come home to brown dirt after you see so much color.) One of the fun things we got out and saw was a little local farm. They have a play area for the kids and we took some photos and let the kids run around for a little while.
Eventually we all headed home. Colton, Blake, and I left Louisville, KY on April 18th and flew home. Michael and Riley stayed a couple extra days so Michael and Kyle could play "handymen". Then they finished their journey to Nashville, TN to deliver Evan's truck to him. They came home April 21st, and we were all glad to be home and as a family once more! It's always fun to get away, but it is also fun to get back to real life!


One last photo- this is a scene that could have been taken a last month or last year. This is one of the fun things we love to do with the Moreys, and it brings back special memories of our friends and the great times our families have had together. It has been a great blessing to know them and to have such excellent people in our lives!

1 comment:
nothing...exciting? hmmm, I thought just being together was exciting enough! Guess we can't live up to your other friends who take you skiing (aka Corey).
Cheers,
Kyle
Post a Comment